You should never underestimate the need for foundation repair. You depend on your home to keep you safe, and your home depends on its foundation to keep it standing. Failing to care for your home is like failing to care for your own body. If you turn a blind eye to the problems, they’ll only get worse. That is why it is so important to keep up with repairing your home’s foundation. In this article, we’ll answer all your questions, including what the average cost of foundation repair is?.
Why Do I Need To Repair My House Foundation?
When a house is first constructed, it’s expected to adapt to the environment it was built upon. This means the house will settle over time naturally. It is nothing to worry about right away. You do need to pay attention to ensure the house doesn’t settle too much, though.
If you notice a shift in your home’s floors or walls, it may mean that it is settling further than expected. Your house may be sinking into its foundation, and it’s important to be aware of this.
The damage that can result from an unfixed foundation can be extensive. You do not want these cracks and chips in your foundation to develop any further than they already have. Doing so might lead to water seeping into these cracks and damaging the building’s framework. Besides water damage, the risk of mold or other harmful bacteria growing in your home also increases.
To ensure that your home is safe and livable, you must ensure that its foundation is sturdy. Even if you plan on moving, you should have this fixed beforehand. Buyers will turn away from a house that’s foundation isn’t strong, no matter how beautiful it looks inside.
How Much Does Foundation Repair Cost?
Generally Foundation repair costs depend on the size of your home and the extent of the damage.
But Costs may range anywhere from $2000 to $7000. Though the average cost of foundation repair generally falls around $4500. If the damage is minor and only requires small patching of cracks, you may only be looking at a $250-$850 bill. If the entire structure of your home needs repairing, it can cost somewhere upwards of $10,000.
How Do I Know if need to Repair My Foundation?
Like we recommends everyone, that it’s very important to pay attention to your home’s foundation. It might be showing all the signs of needing a repair, but if you don’t know what to look for, then you probably aren’t aware. Here are some key signs that your foundation needs repairing:
- You notice cracks in the floors, walls, or ceilings of the interior of your home.
- The floors of your home are uneven or sagging.
- Chunks of concrete appear to be missing from your home’s foundation.
- There are cracks in the sheetrock or bricks on the exterior of your home.
- If you notice your home is drafty or warmer than usual. This might mean there are gaps around the door frames or window sills due to a shifting foundation.
- If your doors or windows aren’t opening/closing like normal.
- Your cabinets are pulling away from the wall, hanging crooked, or opening/closing in an abnormal manner.
- You notice gaps in the corners of your home.
- Wooden materials along the floor or other areas in your home seem to be decaying.
- You notice standing water, damp walls or floors, or excessive humidity in your basement or crawlspace.
Signs that you need to repair your foundation aren’t subjected to these signs only. There are various other indicators that the structure of your home isn’t holding up well. The best way to be sure your home’s foundation is sound is to have an expert come inspect it. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry, after all.